Pages

12 January 2017

Chai, paani, saab?

Two days ago I went to the University parking office to confirm my request for a parking permit.  I had filled in the details online earlier and needed to show the original documents to the officer in the office to finally get the permit.  I entered the office, informed him about my visit. He asked me for my name, checked his computer then verified my documents and then finished his part of the task on the computer.  He then turned to me and explained what he just did and that with the formalities cleared, I'd get my permit by post within a fortnight.  That's it.

As I left the office, I couldn't but smile thinking, if it were in India, at the end of all our interaction the guy would have sheepishly scratched the back of his head and said, "chai paani?" (meaning, something for me?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...