Pages

09 January 2017

A year of the Lord's favour

The following passage (Is. 61: 1-2) has been a recurring text during this season of Advent, especially in the Christmas tide.
The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives and
release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour...
Every time I read this passage, especially the last line, (...to proclaim the year of the Lord's favour...), I end up meditating on the numerous obstacles that were in the way and in spite of which today I find myself here in the UK! Not my personal objections alone which I gave up in the beginning of the year, but mostly the circumstantial ones which even delayed my reaching here.  I know for sure there are very many who would die to get here, in my place! And I'm not talking only of refugees or immigrants!  Yet, it is I who am here having this luxury of reading, study and that too in a reputed institution.

If I were a Hindu, I would have said with great certitude, that I had done 'very very many' good deeds in my previous birth to enjoy all the privileges and graces that I am blessed with. And this grace period of study, is but one of the many innumerable ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...