Pages

01 December 2016

My academic challenge

The more I think and discuss my mind with my professors here, I have a feeling that I'm from another planet - at least with regard to what 'philosophy' means. Just as I accuse them of being 'prejudiced' or 'narrow' in their outlook and understanding of philosophy, they too would view my perspective as 'general' and not really philosophical - granted!

Today I got another proof of our difference of opinion.  Glancing through the book What is Philosophy? by Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari, I came across this particular 'definition' right in the beginning in the translator's introduction to the book
Most of all, perhaps it is a book of philosophy as a practice of the creation of concepts. 
Wow! ... creation of concepts? Really?  (And Deleuze is a name I hear very often in the corridors.) Since when did philosophy become this concept-vending machine?  Furthermore is the fascination with scientific temper and 'philosophical jargon'. Now tracing it back to when did this turn happen is not something very difficult.  However, what I find challenging - and luckily, some of the professors too - is to see if I can propose an alternative future of philosophy.

The ground is open!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...