Pages

16 November 2016

Lefty?

Another thing that's caught my attention of things different from India (I'm glad I'm still seeing things) is this: there are proportionately more left-handed people here in UK than in India.  Now that may seem a bit of an exaggeration but I firmly think my observation is right.

Trying to understand this fact, I feel it has something to do with our cultures.  In India there is the stigma that is associated with the left hand.  Since tidying up after your nature calls (with water) is done with the left hand, the left is considered 'dirty'.  Naturally, any child showing any signs of being left-handed is forcefully tailored to change by the parents, at least most parents.  Here in the UK, I don't think that stigma exists and therefore no child 'changes hands' - or is forced to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...