Pages

19 November 2016

Better than others...

Somehow am drawn by fascination to Dag Hammarskjold.  The more I read about him, the more I feel surprised by the depth of his character.  Today I began reading his journal, titled Markings or Waymarks.  More than a chronicle it is a collection of his poetry and writings.  Couldn't get the original publication, but have with me a translation and a commentary of the same.
Here's one of the early quotes from his book. This was written sometime when he was still a student and in his early twenties.  It is good to have a right understanding of oneself.  Realizing one's potential is good. Taking pride in it, too. But letting it get to your head is dangerous!
"Better than others." Sometimes: I am that in any case.
More often: Why should I be?
You either are or not what you can be -
like the others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...