Pages

13 September 2008

Roots

This morning reflecting on the first reading taken from the letter of St Paul to the Corinthians, where in speaks of the type of fruit and the tree that bears the fruit, I realised how important the roots are. Most often we know and see the exterior and are either fascinated or turned off by the mere appearance of things. What really causes the exterior is most often the interior depth. But we cannot change our past, our family, our background, our upbringing, our complexes that we've grown up with... how then does one change? How does one put on Christ? Is St Paul expecting the tree to transplant itself into another soil? I don't think so. It is true that the tree cannot transplant itself - that I cannot undo my past, or erase my background. But then I can surely spread out my roots in search of the good soil - the Christ! No doubt this is who and what I am, but need not always blame someone, somewhere and somehow escape this present reality. I can always aim for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...