Pages

19 September 2008

Identity and association...

This afternoon listening to Fr Palli talking about different groups claiming and fighting for 'identity' something struck me. Each one wants to carve out his or her own identity - individually and as a group. It is true that we all crave for an identity, a recognition that we belong to someone, or some group. But identity is not created in isolation. It is formed only in association. I identify myself, to someone, in the light of a particular context, in a specific time... all in reference to someone or something. Never in isolation!! I don't deny that there is a great amount of 'distinctness' when speaking of identity but it has to be complemented by the rest. "I" cannot stand alone for long!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...