Pages

24 September 2008

Education in fundamentalism?

I thought the majority of educated people would find this whole current happenings very disturbing and would outright condemn the violence which is on the increase. I was in for a rude shock when I started reading the comments on the e-news bulletins. Very many of them seem to accuse the Christians of "seducing" and "brain-washing" the poor and innocent to 'get converted'! The style and choice of words leads me to the conclusion that these people are educated and well-to-do. While it is true that the bulletins also screen comments, I have a fear that this mirrors the response of the greater majority of those capable of making a difference. I always thought that the illiterate and unemployed are the ones exploited to do such dirty job by some brilliant brains with vested interests. Now it looks like the top creamy layer too is no level-headed-thinker! I would not even by surprised if most of them passed out of a Christian educational institution.
That triggers another question in my mind: Have we failed to give witness to a secular, humane and upright thinking/attitude that would govern the life of our students?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...