Pages

24 July 2008

Consecrating the world as a Brother

What struck me during the funeral service today were the words of Fr Maliekal - he really has a way of putting words which trigger reflection and have a great depth! He thanked Br Gabriel for 'consecrating the world, if not the host and wine, through dedicated work, especially in and through the printing press'.

Well, that's something I never thought I'm doing - consecrating my office work?! Is it really very different from consecrating the bread and wine? Well thinking of it, I feel what is important is not who consecrates and what, but is that which is consecrated, truly Christ. Is the work that I do as a Salesian Brother truly spelling Christ and being Christ - if so then I'm also a Priest! ... and a proud one to do it that way too! No point in me consecrating bread and wine if the final product is not Christ - not worth it at all! May be the very grace of Priesthood has it that the Priest at the pronunciation of the words of consecration, irrespective of his own personal state of affairs, effects the transubstantiation... may be! But I'd prefer it to be a truly manual, sincere and living consecration rather than a theologically sound and perfect doctrine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...