Pages

24 July 2008

Funeral of Br Gabriel

Funerals are never easy, neither for the one for whom they are conducted nor for the participants. Am just back from the funeral of Br Gabriel! Sentiments of sorrow and pain keep welling up every time I see someone crying over the body. Even when I touched him for the last time before lifting him for the procession towards the cemetery, I could not control myself. It is not that I loved Br Gabriel very much or that he was very dear to me... no! Yet, I believe it is hard to accept the fact that one with whom you have lived for some time of your life is no more. Perhaps the loss is felt all the more when, I know that a part of me - something that I have picked up from him, something inspired by him, some moment made unforgettable because of him, some way he has become part of me - is no more going to be with me, in flesh and blood. I wonder if I will ever remember and shed tears later for Br Gabriel? I haven't done it for Fr Varricatt who passed away six years ago. May be good to spend a few moments with this feeling of loss, now than never! After all, he is my confrere, my family, part of me!
Having penned a few lines about Br Gaby - by way of news for the web - I feel nice to be able to do this bit for or on behalf of him for those who might have been really touched by him - much more than I have been.

Thank you dear Brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...