Pages

10 July 2008

The least in the The Last Supper


A few days ago I was reminded of Joey Velasco, the Filipino painter. I came across this - perhaps his most famous to date - painting when on my trip to the Philippines in October last: The Last Supper with the Street Children. I couldn't take my eyes off the painting and the image of that painting is very very "haunting", truly! I was told that there is a book too about the whole painting with a description of each character etched out in such lively manner in the painting. I'm yet to find the book. But the painting itself is nothing short of a novel!! The most gripping character is the one on the left bottom eating while seated on the floor. I had received just that shot a couple of years ago, along with an e-mail message requesting people not to waste food. I still have it with me. In fact whenever I see that image in my collection, I feel a strong tug in my heart.

I know not if I can spell in exact terms what my heart feels when I see this painting especially the part which I just spoke about...! Perhaps I dare not for then it would stop inspiring me in different ways and at different modes of my life. Surely God has his own ways of making His presence felt! I only pray that I have eyes good enough to see Him and a heart wide enough to invite Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...