Last night I had a long and very revealing discussion with one confrere. It was basically about finances but that was not the core. We were basically discussing about the fixed deposits and the way I have been classifying them under a heading, with a clear purpose for each of those FDs. Discussing and explaining to him about the financial situation and plans of my office, over the last four years, I realised for myself how profoundly my own emphasis on purpose has shaped the financial resources (available, investment and future reserves).
I have never been a big fan of money or let finance decide my plans and motives. That's a fact everyone knows, including myself. And I'm very happy for it. What I do strive to seek is PURPOSE. Because I've come to believe that if I have the purpose and intention clear, the path will unfold before me, not necessarily at the beginning of the initiative, but eventually and certainly. So anytime there is something I strongly feel that we as Salesians need to engage ourselves with, finances is never on my list of immediate requirements or needs. It never has been, never will it be! And I believe that's the way it is to be.
Don Bosco's trust in Divine Providence is exactly this practical outlook: Do the good; the necessary support or resources (even financial) will eventually flow in. But if it is the reverse, namely, finances is my priority, then we hardly do any good! Everything is mostly about finances and not about the good to be done.
No comments:
Post a Comment