Pages

29 August 2026

Infrastructure vs Empowerment

 In the last council I had to AGAIN speak strongly about rethinking our investment and the priorities of our mission.  

Most of our financial reserves and earnings are being funneled into buildings and renovations!  Truly a black hole!  I firmly believe that we should shift the emphasis on building people, rather than buildings!  

Investments on infrastructure are a trap.  The attention they need and the constant care that eats ones time, resources and energy is huge.  That's one of the biggest drawbacks of institutionalisation.  We never have 'enough' of buildings and institutions!  We first invest in construction, then in maintenance, then in renovation and constantly seek beautification!  Not even half of that is invested in, what I feel is the most essential: people!  Skills, training, education, creativity, thinking... these need and demand attention.  That should be what we Salesians should be pouring ourselves (and our resources) into.  And for most of these, infrastructure is not the most essential; even if it is, very minimal of it would do.  

 I am convinced that if I truly offer QUALITY training or education, no matter how poor or little infrastructure I have, young people will soon realise the CONTENT and be the most direct beneficiaries.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...