Pages

16 July 2008

Building 'mansions of the heart'...

This evening had the fortune of listening to Fr Tom Kunnangal sj, (left) the founder of the NIOS. He is here as a resource person for the ongoing workshop on the All India Catholic Education Policy 2007. The 40-odd group took time to felicitate him, this being his golden jubilee year of priestly ordination. After much cajoling he spoke just a few words ... and the one that caught my attention was the phrase he used: to build 'mansions of the heart'. I thought that was a nice picturesque word... and that too coming from a man who has practically spent his whole life time in the education field. Not knowing him - I never even heard of him - I expected him to speak something of being disciplinarians and education and all that 'textbook' stuff. But to hear him speak of the 'mansions of the heart' was a pleasant surprise for me. I also see that he is a man who has perhaps really understood the true meaning and goal of education: the formation of the heart - not just the mind! (I wonder if it is the same being discussed all day in the hall!) I believe it is the same message being driven home by our Rector Major, Fr Pascual Chavez, through his Strenna for this year: Let us educate with the heart of Don Bosco.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...