- Andy telling Red: Outside (the prison) I was as straight as an arrow, honest! I had to come in here to become a crook!
- Andy to Red and co.: There's something not made of stone but something within. That no one can touch. No one can take it from you. It is hope.
- Andy to Tommy, the new prisoner: Perhaps you should try some new profession. After all you're not a good thief. Then why not try something new?
- Andy to Red: Get busy living or get busy dying!
- Andy's letter to Red: Hope is a good thing, and good things never die.
Red, when told by his boss (after he's freed from prison) not to ask him permission every time to go for a break: Forty years I asked for permission to piss. Can't squeeze a drop without saying so!Oh, it's a beautiful movie of hope, patience and friendship. Great! Tim Robbins is excellent: cool, reserved and precise! Morgan Freeman... oh, boy! No words to describe him. It was a great idea to get him to narrate the whole movie. Not another soul would have done better!
The best thing of the movie is the style and message: simple, clear and always loyal!