I've been wanting to pen my learning from the recently concluded Mission Poverty Eradication (MPE) Rewind 2026 meeting held in Delhi. I purposely kept delaying it to achieve some sort of objectivity and fairness (historical distance!), rather than let my reflection be moved primarily by emotion.
While I truly still feel, a virtual meeting would have sufficed, but to be fair, I cannot but appreciate the meeting content. Rather than come without a set agenda and let things unfold, the meeting was aimed at collating the efforts of the last one year, across the provinces of south Asia. So the best was that preparation done. We did not walk into the meeting, arms swinging. Each province had to prepare two definite presentations and a video. So, in that sense, there was much effort and planning and thought put into the meeting itself.
What I'd sincerely appreciate is a little more of openness and synodal approach towards the whole enterprise. This is about the methodology at work of the whole initiative rather than the meeting per se. I somehow sense a strong suspicion underlying the initiative, that most Salesians are against this endeavour. That outlook really hampers the owning up of the undertaking because much of it depends on involvement and commitment. When people tend to feel emotionally hurt, the tendency is to either resist or stay aloof - both of which are foolish and immature reactions. Neither of which is helpful for the dissemination and imbibing of a noble initiative like MPE.
That said, I see the potentiality and the ultimate goal that this undertaking strives to achieve: an attitudinal and strategic change in the way we exercise our ministry, focusing our attention consciously on the poorest.
No comments:
Post a Comment