For quite some time a thought has been doing the rounds in my own mind, with regard to vocation promotion. In particular, vocation promotion by myself, close at home! I've been asking myself if I'd feel comfortable and confident to invite my own nephew or niece to join the Salesians, as a Priest or Brother and Sister.
To be honest, I am neither comfortable nor confident in offering that invitation. Nonetheless, I would still not mind speaking about this possibility to them, but with a rider: Join, only if you are willing to be true to your basic values and not fold up to the pressures which are in plenty and enticing too!
Looking back and counting my blessings, especially those which have helped me keep myself steady and strong, I count the values inculcated in me by my parents and the context in which this was done as one of the most powerful one. While my parents hard work and determination was inspirational, their struggles were not hidden from my brother and I. Their example and the financial situation of the times helped me grow without being shy of engaging in hard manual work.
While I have no doubt about the values my nephew and niece witness at home, I seriously wonder if they are used to living a hard difficult life, not just without moaning about it, but joyfully embracing it as an opportunity for growth. That they may actually embrace the challenge is a possibility; but I also fear our present comfort level in the religious life is too enticing and tempting.
I also need to remind myself that a vocation is initially God's call. So He who calls, also equips!
No comments:
Post a Comment