Pages

10 September 2026

AI and the mosquito bat

 A few months ago, I bought a tennis bat sold on street corners to kill mosquitoes. Those who have used these bats know that this can be electrically charged and used to 'shock and awe' mosquitoes.  However, prior to this purchase and use, I've spent days and months and years killing mosquitoes with hands... at times with just one hand. And I was good at this hand-killing!! 


But of late I noticed, that my hand-killing skill has gone dull or weak.  Relying on the electric bat has significantly reduced my reliance on using hands alone to catch and kill mosquitoes.  What began as an added tool, soon became the only 'skill' I knew.  

I guess this same is what can be applied to incessant use of AI in life and works. Using the support of AI certainly enhances the quality of our work; but relying solely on AI for any specific task or all tasks, severely hampers natural skills and talents.  

The calculator was an additional tool to help us calculate large numbers and figures.  Unfortunately, some of us now reach for the calculator to calculate 8 times 8!! Heavy and total reliance on the calculator has divested us of our ability to calculate even simple sums and mathematical calculations.  Let it not be said of our generation that complete reliance on AI has cost us our ability to think and reflect.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...