Pages

21 January 2012

Learning their own lessons...

Last week, right on the day of my arrival from Hyderabad, a couple of the Brothers came to meet me. They were a bit perturbed and slowly shared with me the experience they had just the previous day when they were out for the ministry in one of the neighbouring villages. A couple of youngsters had cornered them and accused them of preaching religion and in a way seducing the innocent women of the village. They sternly warned the Brothers not to come to the village again. I listened to them and realised that they were a bit shaken up but I let it sink in them and heard their full narration without interrupting or saying anything. After they finished all that they had to say, I just told them: "We'll see." They surely were not expecting just that from me. However, I was in no way going to give them a remedy just then and there.

Two days later when they submitted their report in writing, as is expected of everyone on every weekend, I asked them to think over it for another day, meet together, discuss their next step and meet me with their opinion. They did so two days ago, stating clearly that they wish to continue to go to the village. Even then I did not say anything. I met them again this afternoon and told them my purpose of letting them take a decision about this: anyone other than them deciding what to do next, would be someone else's decision and never their own. I wanted them to make their own decision and then I'd promise my full support for that. It would then be their decision, about their ministry, for their own good! However, for safety sake, I did add a couple of observations prior to their departure this afternoon.

Just a while ago, when they returned, they were beaming from ear to ear. They couldn't wait to share their experience of the day with me. Today, quite a sizeable population of the village came out openly in support of them, against the youngster (today there was only one left, I was told - the others disappeared into thin air when the support group increased!). I once again listened to their whole narration and expressed my joy at this turn of events. I wished them goodnight asking them to draw their own lessons from this.

One among them came back to share with me what he says is now too evident for him. He stated: "Brother, if we are sincere in our ministry we need not be frightened at all. We only have to be true to what we are supposed to do." Well, that's a great insight, self-earned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...