Pages

12 January 2012

Poverty

The focus of the preacher today was on poverty and chastity. Some aspects that he shared did make a lot of sense. I had so far thought of poverty in terms of detachment. However, the preacher presented another dimension of the same when 'defining' poverty as a commitment to share. While he did not speak much of detachment, (I guess because he thought it was more apt an attitude in the Western context of affluence) his emphasis on sharing was profound.

As I reflected later, I realised he did not even mention 'Divine Providence' but referred to it more than once and in very apt contexts. Another aspect associated with this vow, he added was openness. However I thought that would go better with chastity. Anyway, he had his valid reasons to claim so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...