Pages

27 January 2012

Integrating study and life

After quite a few weeks of break I resumed my classes today. It was really refreshing. Somehow, once in a classroom, I just feel totally myself... at my best. And furthermore when students are very much involved and actively participating the thrill of teaching is doubled.

Today, learning from past experiences (looks like I'm learning more than the students!), I put them on a new assignment from next Tuesday. I know very well that studies are a total disconnect from their life. According to the Brothers, this whole thing of Philosophy and study has no bearing on life... that they are convinced of. So the result is that they see no connection - or rather, make no attempt to see the profound connection - between what is studied and what and how a life is lived. To break that, I've asked my students to pick any one idea of the Gospel of the day, and any Metaphysical principle that we have spoken of during the semester and show me the connection... all of this in just 6 sentences. At first when I said, 'assignment' they were all pale, but when I explained what I wanted from them and why, they seem to brighten up to the idea. Let me see what they come up with for the next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...