Pages

02 August 2009

About working late and long

Two days ago Pradeep gave me a sheet of paper saying that it is the message of Narayana Murthy (Infosys) addressed to all those who work late and long! He had his typical shy smile on when he gave me this paper. I understood what he was intending too. We understand each other quite well - rather, he understands my noisy chatter and I, his deep silence!

Anyway, that sheet of paper says all I need to be told (Fr Benjy himself has been telling me this for the past one week!). I quote parts of his message and content:
Whatever the reason for putting in overtime, working long hours over the long term is harmful to the person and to the organisation.
Another problem is that people who are in the office for long hours are not pleasant company. They often complain about other people (who aren't working as hard); they are irritable, or cranky, or even angry.
I now understand why some people are cautious these days when they approach me - they are just testing my mood and spirit. Earlier they used to just walk in and feel free!!
Perhaps some people put in such long hours because they don't want to miss anythign when they leave the office. The trouble with this is that events will never stop happening. That is life! Things happen 24 hours a day.
Hence, "love your job but never fall in love with your company."
Now that's something I cannot do - I am totally in love with Don Bosco and my Salesian life. But I guess, I should differentiate Don Bosco and my office. I needn't fall in love with my office!!
Anyway, as a sign of my determination to give this idea a serious thought, I am leaving for the airport tomorrow morning!! Of course for some work (drop and pick up) but no office. Shall read something and loiter around there till I get back.

And now, I sign off, shut down and go to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...