Pages

07 January 2011

Shattering the 'faith-cocoons'

Did Jesus, at any time, claim to be God? He did say that He was the 'Son of God', the 'Lamb of God'... but 'I am God'?? Frankly speaking, No! Paul Tillich would say that Jesus was the perfect 'symbol' one could describe and find. He always pointed to God, never to himself. The only title he took for himself was 'Christ'. He avoided every circumstance, every occasion, every word that would make him an idol, make him another god beside God. Unfortunately that is what the world has ended doing to him, as with Buddha himself. However, he did not want any idolatrous tendency, even the respect to himself. To this end, he even sacrificed himself so that rather than immortalising him, they look upon him and see the purpose for which he did this.

I know I've stirred a hornet's nest in the third year class with this discussion. But I'm glad I did. I really wish to shake and throw them out of their 'faith-cocoons' which are anything but pillars of strength, not for themselves, and least of all for others. I want them to challenge their own faith, in an attempt to strengthen it, critically look at it and make it meaningful, rather than rely on mere quotations and presentation skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...