Pages

05 January 2011

Of religion, language and rice!

In class this morning we were discussing the similarities and differences between a sign and a symbol, using the ideas of Paul Tillich, in the context of religious language. It was interesting to observe the dawning of the meaning and difference on the minds of the Brothers. Initially they were all lost and never imagined that 'sign' and 'symbol' meant two different things. Incidentally the dictionary too does not make a distinction between the two words.

I always am fascinated by religion and language. But as I now sit and reflect over the discussion that we had in class this morning, I realise that it never dawned on me that there could be such an intricate link between religion and language. I always felt, in case I get an opportunity to go for higher studies I'd choose a theme in either of these fields. But now I could very well narrow it down to the theme of religious language - and dabble with both religion and language at the same time. The concept of religious language as a metaphor (Paul Ricouer) sounds something worth pursuing; so is religious language as analogical (Aristotle, Aquinas...) and symbolical (Tillich). The angle of religious language as mythical too is worth exploring.

Anyway, it is good that this insight comes my way, but I first need to see about purchasing rice for the community tomorrow. Lest in my eagerness for higher studies later on, I make the community starve tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...