Pages

20 January 2011

On prayer (2)

Another aspect of prayer that struck me this evening as I tried to reflect on the question, Why do we pray, if God is not going to do anything by himself? I tried to see what and why is it that I pray? It then occurred to me that prayer is simply a conversation, a chat with someone I adore and esteem. So I just share my life, chat with him about the day, express my grievances, discuss, debate, argue, fight, console, ask for help and promise help, and above all, when I speak, he listens and when he speaks, I listen (though the latter does not happen often). I think that's prayer... a simple conversation at the heart and gut level with God.

It is just like talking to my parents and dear ones over the phone. Why do I talk to them? Is it just for some favours or help or to tell about my headaches and troubles? Certainly not. Our conversations are just about anything and everything. It is just a free talk, of course of matters close to our hearts. Any grave danger if I stop talking to my people? Most probably no... but I am bound to feel uneasy and anxious. It is because, I love them and would like to be in touch with them. Prayer too is just that, a loving conversation between two beings, one of whom happens to be God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...