Pages

29 April 2024

An eternal work-in-progress

During my last visit home, looking around the garden, it struck me that it was 'work-in-progress'.  That was nothing different or surprising, but what hit me hard was the realisation that it always - ever since my childhood - has been so!!  An eternal 'work-in-progress'.  The whole of it; all the time!

All my time at Chertsey, I took care of the garden of the house. Looking back even that garden was a w-i-p!  No sooner that I left, Godwill took it up and John sent me some photos of the transformed garden - it was so beautiful. Perfect. No more w-i-p!!  

I think there is some strange tendency among us - should I say, Indians or particularly gardeners - to never ever achieve completion.  Looking further back, at our gardens and farms in Mangalore or in the Province, nowhere are they complete.  They are always 'under construction'.  All of it. Not just some part of it, but all of it, all the time!  

I think it is basically an art or style of functioning.  We always have work to do!! There is always something that needs to be done.  And it can never ever be completed!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...