Pages

05 January 2013

At the Church for the new year

On December 31st night, I joined my family for the midnight Mass in the Parish - it was not out of love for the midnight Mass but that the morning Mass was in Telugu, something my people are not comfortable with.  I was pleasantly surprised at the number of people attending the Mass!  There was hardly any parking space.  The Church was packed, so was the choir loft and every chair in the corridors.  Secondly I observed that it was mostly a family affair.  People attended Mass as a family.  Though I did not see very many youngsters, it was nice to see that so many people preferred to spend the first moments of new year in the Church rather than in front of the TV or at some party.

The only thing I felt a bit odd - at the same time happy - was that there was hardly anyone I recognised in that whole crowd.  It has been 20 years since I joined the Seminary and I suppose people also have moved on.  There are just a handful of people whom I recognise and those who know me.  The rest are all Parishners, but unknown to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...