Pages

19 May 2020

To be; to do the right thing

Having spent yesterday thinking about 'what to do?' especially if in the future there are no more structured ministry possibilities, listening to this morning's first reading was a sort of revelation! 

Paul and Silas are imprisoned, flogged, thrown into prison and shackled as well!  Placing myself in their shoes, I tried to picture myself.  Chained.  Bruised.  In prison with no guarantee of when I'd be released.  Not sure what next.  Yet in my heart there is this burning desire to preach the Risen Christ.  So what is going on in my mind?  I'm thinking of all the planned journeys, the meetings.  I'm trying to figure out how will I get out of this situation.  It's not for my own love of freedom, but for the impelling ministry that beckons me. 
Almost fell off my chair laughing when I saw this pic!
But that's exactly what Paul and Silas were doing... relaxing and singing! 
Instead what are Paul and Silas upto?  They are singing away!  And when the earthquake brings down the walls of the prison and offers them an escape, a means to carry on the important task of preaching, they still don't leave!  Surely they had every right to believe that it was God himself who was guiding their steps, out of the prison.  But finding themselves before the jailer about to commit suicide, they decide to stay on!!  Go preach vs save one life and jeopardize all prepared plans, give up any preaching.  What's more, go against God's own sign?  Yet they choose to stay on!  Be imprisoned!  And what follows?  That decision to stay on, itself becomes a ministry, an apostolate.  A moment of encounter for the jailer and his family to meet Christ; for the disciples Paul and Silas to encounter the jailer and his family;  for God to meet them all! 

To be, rather than to do.  To be willing and available for what God and His people offer.  To do the right thing, even if that's not what what's planned or the best of things!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...