Pages

20 April 2018

Blimey!

Among the few English words I've come across for the first time since I came to the UK, is this word, 'blimey'.  Never checked the meaning of it, but gathered that it was an interjection.  Only yesterday did I come to know that 'blimey' is an abridged form of 'Cor blimey' which actually means 'God blind me'!  Well, knew that blimey is an expression of surprise and excitement, but didn't know that it has this meaning... know not if those using this phrase lavishly (some whom I know well) are aware of the original meaning.

I guess, that would not be the only word, the actual meaning of which we are blissfully ignorant of!  But as long as it is functional and useful, it works.  We don't have to know everything about a word (or for that matter, anything) to begin using it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...