Pages

05 June 2011

The 'hoax' of Ascension

The Gospel reading of this day of the feast of the Ascension of Our Lord, concludes with the two personages who descend from heaven telling people not to 'waste their time' staring into the sky... that Jesus would come down once again the same way that they saw Him go up. Now that is quite a statement. I am not really sure what the original Biblical text says and means by that. But this I know for sure: there are many who 'staring into the sky, waiting for Jesus to descend'. Not that I have any problem with that - certainly not. But when one is so engrossed with this, we are oblivious of those really around us. I, for one, do not believe that Jesus would come down from the heavens, amidst clouds and lights and all that fantasy stuff... I do not wish to believe that at all. For me He is here with us, all the time, at each moment, engaging us in different ways that life offers us. I'd rather gladly 'waste' time interacting with those around me than await his dramatic 'fall' from heaven above!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...