Pages

12 February 2009

Reason, formation and PT

I always took for granted that the 'reason' in Don Bosco's Preventive System was very much the same 'reason' of Philosophy. I never thought otherwise. That is till this evening while reading the spiritual reading - an article by good Fr Clive de Hurley. His explanation too states that there isn't a very big difference between the two but all the same in our Salesian context 'reason' has a slant. It means reasonableness, a quality of reasoning which includes practical judgement, prudence, understanding, naturalness, moderation, all that makes reasoning human!

Fr Clive adds, "Discipline is a means, and not an end in itself. He would reach the heart first and make of boys his allies. Leading children to do good with joy was his constant effort. ... leading them on to self-discipline for truly understood motives."

This, especially the latter, struck me very much especially after my recent discussion and sharing with Mariadas. I realised during my practical training, I did do my best but failed in letting the brothers know that this mode of formation was meant for educators not children. Hearing about the way my students fare in the various houses, I fear, they have certainly imbibed my method and are in a way (unconsciously) trying to make every school boy or boarder a seminarian! Somewhere down the line I failed to make this slight shift in their thinking.

I hope I get time and opportunity to correct myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...