Pages

12 February 2012

Effecting changes

The readings of the day have leprosy as one of its common elements. I focus here on the Gospel dimension of it. Jesus, having cured the leper, sends him off with the clear instructions of presenting himself before the high priest and making an offering for his cure... thus proving his cure and redeeming himself from being accursed. It may seem odd that Jesus is endorsing what was written in the Mosaic law. Most of the time we see Jesus, either breaking it or re-interpreting it. Now here he is seen endorsing it as it is. Reflecting on this I find, that Jesus' acts of re-interpretation or rejection or even endorsing were based purely on the good of all involved. He wanted all concerned to grow holistically. His passion and action for change was based on this principle, not just a personal whim or a discomfort for tradition.

That's a good lesson for people like me who have the authority or rather, are priviledged with authority, to bring about changes. What is my criterion when I introduce changes, big or small in my community life? Am I driven by zeal for common good and welfare or is it personalistic?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...