Pages

12 February 2013

Questioning myself

Fr TD John, during the recently concluded Chapter often told me that the moment there is an immediate, vehement and emotional opposition to somebody or something, be sure there is something there!  I'm beginning to believe in it.

During the preparatory meet for the Chapter, our small group discussing the theme of 'mystics' slowly but convincingly put as the first challenge before us, our own lack of conviction that we are men of God.  When we presented this to the whole assembly, there was quite a bit of opposition.  Subsequently, some grasped the point (or rather, acknowledged the fact) and then the discussion took a detour and the point remained.

During the Chapter proper, this point was again a heated topic for discussion.  It reached a point where I was sure, it would be thrown out of the document altogether.  Then, call it God's grace or Divine intervention, slowly some wise men put it this way: Not that all are not convinced of God and faith but there is this feeling among some!  Sitting right in front I bowed my head in a silent prayer and acknowledged before God, that I did not have the courage to claim that I was a man of God. That awareness and acknowledgement has been tugging at my heart since then. (Thanks to the humility of the general assembly, the final document still retains the point).

Today in class too, when I presented the Brothers with the same challenge, there was certainly a vehement opposition, even vocal.  Some were jotting down every word of mine, because it was 'spicy'. Some were recording it to use it on others. (Others, as usual, were taking notes for the exam!). I know not if any of them will use it for themselves.

Now my basic question is this: What if we/I for a moment, atleast, even if necessary, as a supposition (and not a fact), acknowledge that I am not a man of God... I wish I were, I hope I will be, but as of now, I really do not have the strength to make that claim?

1 comment:

  1. Ok.. this is as response to you :D

    I don't find this question problematic at all. It seems like 99% of us are not men or women of god. big deal. We are simply men and women trying to find God-in, out, around, wherever, whatever. Why is it needed to claim anything, one way or another?

    I know some people think that fancy dress makes them men of god, but they are poor fools.But God loves them too ;) huh?

    But then again, maybe they accept the claim of Jesus fully- you and i are one just as the father and i are one :D

    Anyway. Sounds like a Good chapter. Btw, TD John is right.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...