Pages

06 February 2013

Radical choice ... not to be radicals!

In the morning session of the Chapter, our group discussing the aspect of 'Mystics in the spirit', presented its report and data for the Chapter document. One of the three lines and action we proposed was a radical living of the Gospel.  Though it still remains a bit vague and cannot be termed a 'line of action' in its complete sense, we did not put anything specific. Or rather, I did not put anything specific (for I was the secretary of that group).

I didn't put anything specific for one simple reason:  Anything radical is impossible for 'us'.  Perhaps as individuals, yes, but certainly not as a whole group.  As per my expectations, there was a clarification regarding the same.  I clarified that it meant a direct living of the Gospel call, not some interpretation or justification of our interpretation of the Gospel.  I still desisted from making it specific and merely stated that being a radical meant, being crazy, bizarre, out of the world, totally out of the normal... I concluded my clarification with a simple question to the assembly: Can anyone propose something really hard-hitting, something really drastic, that we could live out joyfully?  Silence!

During the break time a while later, most agreed that 'we' can never really be radical.  We are too used to our structures and addicted to our comforts to make any 'out of the normal' choices.  We just cannot, and more than that, will not... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...