Pages

12 February 2013

Convenience, not conviction

Today I got a lovely chance to challenge my students of the third course, to accept our own hypocrisy about Chrisitianity and the Church.  Discussing religious diversity and the famous responses of exclusivism, inclusivism and pluralism, all of them were very sure of the inclusivistic attitude of the Church (they are fresh from a workshop on the Vatican Council II).  However, I challenged them if our daily living and practicing of our faith reflects the same.

If our proclamation and evangelisation is merely to add numbers to our 'church' then it is as good as advertisement or propaganda.  If it is mere vocalising our sentiments, then it is dramatisation.

Still fresh with our Chapter discussions, especially the whole theme of mystics of the spirit and Stan's talk on practical atheism in consecrated life, I realise our faith is more of convenience than conviction. We speak and preach Christ not because we are really, really, REALLY convinced of Him but because it is either convenient or mandatory.  Either of the latter options is no true meaning of evangelisation or witnessing.  Let me directly confess for myself, rather than speak for everyone else: I still am not ready for Him! Yet I claim to be His disciple!

Only now am I beginning to understand the prayer, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief" (Mark 9: 24).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...