Pages

17 February 2013

Change criteria?!!

I remember distinctly reading in the Ratio, the Salesian formation manual, that one of the criteria of promoting a candidate for Salesian religious life is 'an abundance of positive aspects and not merely absence of negative traits'.

However, I'm now faced with a situation wherein quite a large group - not just a handful - are just floating around.  They have neither the fire, nor the aptitude, nor the guilt of not doing enough, and least of all not even sufficient intelligence to grasp what is said and done.

So what now?  Change the criteria?  Continue the status quo? Detachedly watch the downfall? Eliminate those not upto the set standards? (then there'd hardly be any left!)

To the last question, I need to ask myself another question.  What am I voting them in for?  Why am I sifting for the best among the worst? What is the standard of my expectations? For what do I need these young men (or rather for what does the church and the world at large need them)? To keep existing institutions going? Or to be the yeast in the leaven?  If the former, I'd need quite a few.  If for the sake of the latter, just a qualitative handful would be more than enough! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...