Pages

05 October 2008

Wobbling and healing...

I've been going through the life story of someone of whom I've heard much and from different people. As I kept making notes and concluded this day practically the whole life story, I cannot but forget the words of Fr Ivo on the day of my M.Ph. defence. I should say, though he was my reader, he was my guide too. It was him that I approached most for my paper - he was also my Rector then. The theme was such that I couldn't but be affected, spiritually. I distinctly remember him reading from his paper the remarks: '... at times you stray away from the precepts of the Church and Philosophy, at other times you are on track. Most often you wobble... and that wobbling has saved you...'

Frankly speaking having done the paper on religious plurality and shaken my own foundation of faith, I was very much blank after the dissertation. While I chose the theme for a greater personal clarity, I ended up becoming more and more confused. Perhaps that was the reason Fr Ivo then suggested that I do a complete course of theology in due time. My study of theology was a great enrichment... (but that, sometime later).

Coming back to this person about whom I was reading. His wobbling saves him. At times I felt angry at him for being so foolish. At times I could not but sympathise him in his agony. There were also times when I did not know what to feel at all! But something that strongly stands out is his sustained struggle to rise above those things that kept him bound - mostly those bonds that he had woven around himself! I think this struggle is what makes us all 'wounded healers'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...