Pages

31 October 2008

Holy Mass and renewal

Attending Mass with lay people, especially in our small chapel, is always a renewal experience. Yesterday for mass there were three lay people to join in the Mass, which otherwise has only two or three of us (Priests and myself).

To begin with they would not sit around the altar in the sanctuary. They preferred to sit in front of the altar keeping a sacred distance. I realised I'd lost all sense of the sanctuary at all!

From their expressions it was clear that they were fully there in the Chapel carefully following the Mass. I had to make a very conscious effort to stay focused.

Kneeling during the consecration came automatically to them. I had to struggle to decide what to do.

Once outside the Chapel till they entered the refectory they were still in a very reflective mood... perhaps the sanctity of the Chapel still pervaded their minds. The moment I was out of the chapel door, even before I put on my footwear, I was already thinking of what next!

So I really wonder if our participation in the daily Mass makes us better people or more indifferent to the Divine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...