Pages

19 October 2008

Food and hunger


Two days ago I was reading the Hindu while at Kondadaba and came across this article on the World Food Day. Just before I read that article, was a very touching comment by the news anchor of the ndtv channel. 'On a day when millions go hungry and the world's attention is drawn to the food crisis looming large over the poor, especially women and children, we still don't see it hitting the headlines!'

This article which I then happened to read in the paper was accompanied by this very touching photo. Nothing special but one had only to look carefully and see the hunger in the eyes of the children reaching out to receive a biscuit from the hands of a distributor. Two things struck me very much. The children were not grabbing the biscuits from the hands of the one distributing them. They awaited their turn. At first I thought may be because they are not that hungry. But one look into their eyes would never again make me say that! They were all eyes for the biscuit. They just saw that food. Nothing and no one else!

Lord help me remember that look in the eyes of those children whenever I even think of talking about food or wasting food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...