Pages

12 August 2008

Grounded formation - days at Gunadala

Reflecting this whole day on formation and formation processes, I was reminded of my grounded formation in Gunadala. Looking back the first few months at Gunadala were the most formative days in community living. I'd reached the aspirantate with a very high opinion of those who came there to become priests and brothers. Once there I was in for a rude shock when I observed within the first month that very many boys there, were worse than my school companions whom I'd kept a distance from!!! That brought me back to the earth! Priests and Brothers are after all made of the same flesh and bones like the rest of humanity!

The second experience which kept my hopes and aspirations alive was the celebration of the community day. That was the second time I wept in Gunadala - only this time they were tears of joy and a sense of great fulfillment. The feeling of being together with such a large group was terrific. What we can do as individuals is great and praise worthy, but that what we can achieve as a community focused on a particular mission is something unbelievable.

True that I've learnt much more over the years in the Salesian congregation, but these initial experiences I'll never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...