Pages

29 May 2013

Simple wedding

This evening Fr Maliekal and myself attended the wedding celebrations of one of the youngsters from Narpam, a village in the neighbourhood. He had come personally with his benefactress to invite us for the wedding and we did make it only for the meal. Though we reached quite late in the evening, the ceremony was still running late!

However, what I liked was the way in which it was conducted.  Unlike the marriages I've attended earlier (though not many, and most of them Hindu marriages), this stood out for the way it was organised. The Holy Mass was the only focus.  There were meals served for all after Mass while those who wanted to wish the couple did so as the meals progressed.  No other fanfare and hungama!  I'm sure it was how the retired elderly teacher there wanted it: a Catholic wedding celebration in the Church!  Though not all in the village and the families would have 'enjoyed' it, the way the central elements were focused was praiseworthy. I certainly will tell this to the teacher and congratulate her, the next time I meet her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...