Pages

23 April 2012

Perseverance and fidelity

Most of us easily confuse perseverance with fidelity.  Only lately did I realise that the two mean very different things.  They may be closely related but certainly and in no way are they the same.  I can very well 'persevere' in my vocation as a religious without being faithful to the commitment I have vowed.  Of course, one might say that perseverance involves fidelity... but it does not automatically follow. I may stay in for varied reasons.  But to be meaningful, I need to stay in for the right reasons.

Given the difference, I do strongly feel that we are called to be faithful, not just 'hang on'. Moreover good to be clear also about what to be faithful to... fidelity to the person of Christ and not a rule.  I need to constantly remind myself of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...