Pages

09 November 2008

Corollaries or controversies?

This evening I had a very pleasant ride as I drove back a dozen youngsters back to their IBS campus! Then more out of my own curiosity than their hesitant invitation to come in and have a look at the campus, I drove in. They showed me around a bit of their 90 acres plot nearly 25 kms from the Provincial house itself. (For those who grumble Provincial house is out of the city, they should try reaching this spot by themselves!!).

Anyway, what surprised me was the whole ambiance therein. Though just two years old, it is posh. Massive structures, lush green lawns, polished corridors, glass panes all around, wifi connection anywhere in the building, air-conditioned classrooms, ... I realised this is for those who can afford to burn money - any amount! No ordinary guy would even dream to get in there!

Being the first meeting with these youngsters, they were very guarded. Though comfortable among themselves, they kept a 'prudent' distance from me. But they were very cordial though! No complaints about that!

To contrast all these images that were floating in my mind as I drove back home, was the usual image of the water tank along the roadside near the military gate after the petrol bunk turn! That water tank, is the one that all cart-pushers, brick-layers, and rickshaw pullers approach to quench their thirst. I doubt it is cleaned at all, ever since it was constructed!

One the one hand here are young people guzzling espressos and Kinley mineral water and on the other hand these bare-footed school children filling their water bottles with the water from the roadside tank!

Yet all survive, all live their lives. I have doubts if, these poor kids are sadder than their richer generation. At times they may regret their state of life, but sad?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...