Pages

22 November 2008

Catching up with old friends...

Had a glimpse into the life of one of our staff members this afternoon as the cook shared her burden of sorrows with me. I've known her son since many years now. I once conducted a summer camp for the children of this Parish and he was one of the participants. He still has great respect for me and does meet me often.

The mother was moaning the fact that instead of helping her in this old age of hers, he is sitting idle at home waiting for the ideal job to start working. Luckily I met him soon afterwards and had a small 'talk' with him. Of course, it was no big counselling. Just two old friends catching up with the latest happenings. But I did make a mention of this point and as a friend encouraged him to make efforts to see that his mother does not have to suffer in this age.

At one moment talking to him, in front of the house as people - known people - passed and greeted us, I thought he would feel shy about 'listening'/talking to me. But there we were, talking and chatting away just like friends and even those who heard us would also say they were just talking. He asked about my brother, my sister-in-law and I inquired about his sister and her family abroad.

Young people want friends, not preachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...