Pages

03 November 2008

Conversion as change of heart-2

Well, what I liked best of the frank sharing of Anand Mahadevan (and of the Outlook magazine who dared publish that opinion, whatever the reasons) is the frankness with which it lays bare facts and deep convictions. There is no debate here... no arguments. Just plain testimony of one who was open to being touched by the person of Jesus and is today taking a public stand for Christ (not necessarily for Christianity). We have several people, beginning with our Bishops - may be myself, included - who would stand for Christianity... but the point here is do I stand for CHRIST?

I think we need people who can, first of all, stand by Christ and then authoritatively speak for Christ today. Not merely squabble over Church and Christianity. I certainly agree with Mahadevan when he says that what he acquired that evening was not a religion... it was an intimate relationship with Jesus. How many of us religious can claim that. We certainly would stand tall and shout aloud that we are born Catholics but can we at least whisper in our own hearts these words: I know Him as the pure and sinless Son of a Holy God. And I know Him as a dear friend to whom I pray and talk to every day—about my career, my dreams, successes, failures, finances and even my sexuality. (Anand Mahadevan).

As for Mahadevan's evangelisation and proclamation: If I read a good book, watch a good movie (Rock On is terrific, mate), or eat a good meal at a new restaurant, I would naturally tell my friends about it.In Jesus, I have discovered a truly amazing friend, guide, leader, saviour and God. How can I not tell all my friends about Him? And if anyone does listen and he too comes to believe in Jesus, I am delighted. The world would call it a conversion; I call it a change of heart, like mine.

Lord grant me the strength, if not to claim at least to strive for this grace... to be able to whisper in my heart, that I know You and that You are mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...