Pages

26 January 2021

An eternal outsider (or am I?)

 Thinking about one's belonging (or not belonging) to a particular group or society, it occurred to me that no matter what I do, I'll always be perceived as an 'outsider' by those of my Province.  It is not an accusation I'm levelling against my confreres or in anyway stating that I've been discriminated on this basis, but merely stating a fact.  

The fact that I was born of parents who are not from Andhra (or Telangana), that my mother-tongue is not Telugu, that I do not fit into the existing classification of the caste system, that my name does not in anyway match with the local culture... all of this distinguishes me from those born and brought up in Telugu families within a typical Telugu culture.  Even though I was born and brought up in Hyderabad, the lack of the other factors mentioned above will always distinguish my identity.  (I remember someone ending a heated conversation/debate with me about caste system, citing my origins and stating "You'll never understand!")

Even if I were to change my province and join the Mumbai Province (which includes the geographical location of Mangalore), I'd still be an outsider!!  The fact that I was not born and raised in Mangalore, that I did my schooling outside the 'region' and the fact that I spent most of my life in and around Andhra Pradesh will prevent me from being considered a thoroughbred local in that Province - for that matter, in any other Province.  

This is true of wherever I go.  I cannot undo my past - including my parents, my birth, my mother-tongue, my early years of schooling and higher education.  On that account I'll always be an outsider, anywhere and everywhere I go.  

However, this very fact of not being a 'thoroughbred local' also provides me with the opportunity to actually belong to everyone and anyone!  My hybridized past facilitates me being part of any Province, region or place - all people!!  In fact, through my sense and expression of belonging, I stand as a signpost or challenge everytime I bond with others, over and above the defining factors of language, caste, affiliation and culture.  If only each of us lives by human values (transcending the limited cultural definitions) especially in time of need, we'd be setting a higher benchmark for future generations of what it means to belong!  Furthermore immaterial of what and how others perceive me and my 'belonging' if I am at home, then I'm home!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...