Pages

10 January 2011

Teaching blues!

The class test I conducted this morning for the third year students to evaluate their grasp of the subject I was so passionately and vigourously taking, Philosophy of Religion, turned out to be a rude shock to me. Nearly two-thirds do not really understand anything of what you are saying! There are some who just don't get one single idea - yeah, not even one single sentence or concept - right!! For them it is all a big jumble of words. Nothing more, nothing less! What annoys me most is that they are very comfortable with that. The very thought that these students are the future Priests of Andhra raises every hair on my back!

Some important lessons I think, I need to learn:
  • No amount of preparation and planning is going to bear any fruit with regard to classes. The receipients are perfect dumbos who will not listen beyond the first sentence you utter.
  • Study of Philosophy is not meant for all... certainly not for very many at Kondadaba! So then what to do in a Philosophate? Wind it up! Or another option: be serious about the enrollment policy for the seminaries and studentates of philosophy. If Bishops feel that a person can be ordained without even the least of thought, they may ordain them in their dioceses itself; but not burden the Philosophate with such thondos!
Unfortunately I began another course today: and it had to be of all the subjects, metaphysics! The only silver lining is that I'm only completing the syllabus which was started by someone else. And my curse: I cannot but give my best for teaching. Hence even after knowing that my students, quite a number of them atleast, are not even paying close attention to what I am teaching, I still go on! God save me!

1 comment:

  1. Lord!! would i love to sit in one of your classes!! Casti, please do allow and do teach metaphysics! I could also quietly record the class for future entertainment! :D That is, when i am not falling off the bench and rolling on the floor!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...