Pages

23 May 2010

Power corrupts ...

Over the last four days - or more - there have been several confreres and friends appreciating me for my efforts as the Secretary of the Province. It always feels good to receive such praise and support. However most of them added that this was not what I should be doing. I indeed did the job well but they all welcomed this change of 'occupation' for me. Frankly speaking, I was not very sure if I was ready to move out. I was certainly very comfortable here and I should say well-established too! But I also know that I was slowly losing touch with reality. I was in a sense building my own cocoon. Hence this transfer could not come at a better time than this.

Secondly, I realised this morning during Mass that one of the many reasons I was very 'comfortable' here was the fact that I wielded a certain amount of power. Being in the Provincial house itself is seen as some sort of an 'authority'. Add to that the fact that I was in the council - though only as the Secretary with no voice or power. But for the rest of the confreres it was something more than just a normal apostolate... being at the hub of animation and administration. What struck me today was that quote 'power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely'... well perhaps I was in a sense getting carried away.

And Jesus says, I want you to serve...!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...