Pages

08 March 2009

Courage to invite boys to join us

This month's Provincial circular speaks of recommending ourselves to youngsters as models and having the courage to propose to them the Salesian consecrated life. Indeed a very touching issue. Frankly speaking when I see that we hardly get any vocations from our own settings it looks ridiculous. Take for instance my own school. I am the only one from that school to be a Salesian. I know not if there are any who joined other congregations or dioceses. But in its 29 year old history, just one vocation? It tells something about our style of functioning.

Earlier when as a student of Philosophy helping out in the vocation camps, there used to be large number from Guntur - from our own technical school. Now I doubt if there are any from there. I'm told that among the present batch of novices there is none who was ever in touch with any Salesian or Salesian institute before reaching the aspirantate in Gunadala. Whew!!!

I do not say we Salesians do not work. But I guess we do not work properly - in ways that we are seen as men of God and committed to the responsibilities entrusted. Worse still we fear to invite young people to join us - fear because we may be asked "Why? What for?" and we do not have answers to it.

My frank opinion, if my life is worth its calling, no one will dare ask me, for the answer is there for anyone to see - just like an open book. May God help us in outlasting ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...