Pages

02 March 2009

Disparities in life...

This day I witnessed the two extremes of life ... know not if I am balanced and comfortable in both. This morning in the vegetable market as two of us were carrying our vegetable sacks to our vehicle, I had some time to observe a small girl who picked up a plastic bag and began collecting all the discarded vegetables. The girl would be hardly 8-9 years old. Yet she walked about with a keen eye for any vegetable rolling off the sacks, or throw away by the vendors ... While our eyes were fixed on the best, she was very very focused. She never ever glanced at the neatly laid out vegetables. From what I observed, if she wanted she could have easily took a handful of beans, or chillies or leafy vegetables from the good stock - she was too small to be noticed in the crowd. Yet there was no such indication from her face. She was only looking out for the discarded ones.

In the evening to celebrate my b'day the Community went out for a meal. The bill at the end of our 'simple' meal dampened all our appetite and brought a lump to our throats! Well, two extreme situations of life.

However, sitting back in my office, I realise I felt more comfortable in the vegetable market amidst all the dirt and disorder than in the posh cool hotel this evening. The only consolation of the latter was the company of my community members.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...